Share this content on Facebook!
26 Apr 2019
The K1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for a foreign citizen fiancé of a United States citizen. If your fiancé is from the outside of the United States and wants to travel to the United States and marry you, then he or she has to apply for the K1 nonimmigrant visa. K1 fiancé visa permits your fiancé to travel to the United States and marry you within 90 days from the date of arrival in the U.S.

So how to get K1 visa?

Here is the step by step guide on how to get K1 visa:


K1 visa ( ) petition must be filed by U.S citizen called as petitioner, with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office that has jurisdiction over the place of residence of the petitioner. You have to file the form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé. This form request USCIS to recognize the relationship between you and your fiancé.

You have to provide the list of documents mentioned according to the form instructions. These documents include proof of U.S. citizenship such as a copy of a birth certificate or passport, as well as evidence that you and your fiancé are both legally free to marry, a proof that you have met within the last two years, evidence of commission of any violent or domestic crimes, and other documents mentioned in the form I-129F. There will be a fee as well which you have to pay to the USCIS.


Once the petition is submitted, USCIS will review your Form I-129F and the documents you submitted. They may mail you a request for additional documentation or information if required. If you establish your eligibility, USCIS will approve your form and sent a Form I-797 Notice of Action acknowledging receipt. And then, USCIS will send the approved Form I-129F to the DOS National Visa Center (NVC).


NVC will forward your petition to the U.S. embassy or consulate having jurisdiction over the fiancé’s place of residence. The embassy will inform the fiancé about their requirements for forms, medical examination, and documents. U.S. Embassy or consulate notifies you when the visa interview for your fiancé is scheduled and determines whether your fiancé qualifies for the K-1 nonimmigrant visa. If consular officer approves your visa application, then k1 visa ( ) is issued to your fiancé, but it does not guarantee admission to your fiancé to the United States. A CBP officer will ask you to present the K1 immigrant visa at a port of entry and make the final decision whether to admit your fiancé.

So these are the three steps of getting a K1 visa.


There isn't any comment in this page yet!

Do you want to be the first commenter?

New Comment

Full Name:
E-Mail Address:
Your website (if exists):
Your Comment:
Security code: